such as are appointed to destruction.
and plead the cause of the poor and needy.”
“And I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him.”
“Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him.”
“Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.”
“He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well with him: was not this to know me? saith the Lord.”
In the light studying I have done, it seems to be a generally agreed upon point that verse three is simply foreshadowing for events in King Solomon’s reign.
- “Blessed art thou, O land, when thy king is the son of nobles, and thy princes eat in due season, for strength, and not for drunkenness!” ~Ecclesiastes 10:17
- “Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.” ~Hosea 4:11
- Alcohol is definitely a “mocker.” It alters inhibitions and for many people outright changes personalities. I do not groove this. I like the original, please.
- Alcohol is addictive and dangerous, and yes I realize that some people have a stronger propensity for alcoholism than others, but I have witnessed the fallout of this condition (disease?) in lots of relationships, first hand, and it is no small problem. I do not groove it. I want no part of it my life or in my home. We have friends who drink, and I don’t think we’ve ever “preached” to them about it, but it just doesn’t come to the farm. And I have never had to worry about someone leaving one of our fun parties here and making the long drive home intoxicated.
- Yes, we did “preach” to the girls about avoiding alcohol when it was warranted. It has always been important to me that they learn to maintain control over their lives and that alcohol can poison that, can poison your temple. Some people find this radical. I consider it it healthy.
- The advice for kings and princes in particular to avoid wine and strong drink is plenty enough reminder for me to heed the warning. I am in no position of authority or control in this world, but I still need my judgement to be sound. I still want my life to run smoothly and steadily.
- I am not sure what to say about the last verse here, about drink given to those who are suffering. To me it speaks of compassion, but clearly I have some studying and thinking to do.