I have so many more things to tell you about the marathon! So many. But the next piece is a bit lengthy, and it’s Friday, so how about a quick breather? Five quick little farm updates that have nothing to do with running. It’s a miracle.
- We have three new baby chicks. My friend Mrs. Robinson, who taught both of my girls when they were little (a million years ago) recently welcomed me into her new classroom of first graders, where I took a couple of our farm chicks to visit the kids. They were all busy tending to incubators full of hopeful little eggs and wanted to see what their feathery future might hold. Well, on Easter weekend three robust little yellow chicks entered the world, and this week was the perfect time for them to go live at the farm, literally. They are assimilating so nicely, and we love them. I’ll say again: There is nothing quite so sweet as having tender, chirping little baby chicks in your home. They soften the blow of living.
- I have finally purchased most of my warm-weather veggies, and I have that early-summer giddiness happening in my belly and on my bare arms. The weather this weekend should be in the high eighties, maybe even the nineties, and this is my sweet spot. So excited. We’ll be doing lots of garden updates very soon!
- New books! I had a crazy long lunch break while subbing seventh grade today and had forgotten to bring a book to read, so I went to the local library and scooped up a stack of goodness. While supervising an afternoon video marathon in Science class, I plowed through 130 pages of Stephen king’s On Writing. It’s a book I’ve been wanting to read for ages, and so far it is exceeding my expectations. I also checked out Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway, two more titles over which I’ve been really salivating. One or two others, I can’t remember now. I’ll definitely post reviews here soon.
- Tomorrow is another Zombie Bolt 5k,and this time it’s a mud run obstacle-course style event. It should be a blast! Really cool people, really fun times. And the weather could not be better for it. Handsome and I get into costume and everything. So much fun!
- I crave to run like you would not believe. I’ve eaten well and exercised very lightly all week, until one fried food meal tonight. (I made the mistake of waiting until I was exhausted to find food.) But my body just craves a good, long escape like crazy. SORRY! I mentioned running. Sue me. If I show you these cute babies will you forgive me?
Okay! Please tell me something going on in your world! Any animals stories? Any new books? What’s growing in your garden? Going for a run this weekend?
“Just living is not enough.
One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen