Hello, and happy Friday!! We made it. We made it, we made it, we made it. I’m mostly cheering hard for you office dwellers out there who in a matter of hours get to escape the confines of your business-casual arena and explore the weekend however you see fit. But those stay-at-homers among us (like me) are happy for Friday too. Sometimes it actually means a little relaxation, a little freedom to spend time how we actually want to spend it. Reading, running, playing outside without doing required chores. Not always, but sometimes.
Anyway, it’s Friday and I haven’t checked in with you much since sharing our happy-sad news about saying goodbye to Chunk-hi. The funny thing, and you may know this via Instagram, is that he’s still here. Ha! He is wholesale refusing any and all attempts to load him into the trailer brought here by his new family, so every day we go through the same routine of opening and rearranging the maze of gates to form a pseudo-chute, hoping to lure him up to the front to the trailer with sweet, protein-rich treats. And every day he creeps forward on the black tips of his pointy hooves then scrambles backwards again before we can secure the gates. I’m pretty sure at least twice I heard him chuckle under his breath and say, “Yeah right.” But that’s okay. This long, weird goodbye will become part of the fabric of our memories with our big sweet boy, and I am sure one day we will be laughing about it.
Assuming Handsome doesn’t have a nervous breakdown first.
For now, once again, happy Friday! And a quick Friday 5 before I go for a run outside. HALLELUJAH I am able to run again!! Full post on this and related topics on Monday.
Five Things That Make me Feel Like I’m Doing Adulthood Correctly:
- Visiting an Aldi grocery store and remembering to bring not just a shiny quarter for the cart but also several reusable bags for my mostly organic, fairly low-priced, delicious haul. Once, before I had the hang of that store, I loaded my arms with good stuff then decided to also buy a giant watermelon, and without the required bags I ended up soccer-dribbling the gorgeous round fruit all the way to my Jeep. That is NOT how you adult.
- Collecting trash from all over the house and seeing that last time I did so I remembered to leave clean trash bags at the bottom of each receptacle. Wow.
- Doing laundry to the max. I mean, getting the clean stuff dried, folded, ironed, and put away the FIRST TIME and also days before we need said items. Having truly empty laundry baskets for a while. Also, folding clean towels like a hotel does. I don’t know about you, but bath towels folded so you see the open layered edges make me feel weird and sloppy. Best way: fold the towel in vertical thirds then double it over once or twice and make sure you see the smooth, round elbow of fluffiness when you look at your shelf. This is bath towel Zen. Or roll them up if you must, but please let’s not look at those open edges, okay? Eww.
- Having either tortilla chips or raw almonds in the pantry and only eating, like, a few at a time. Making the purchase last several days is tantamount in my life to balancing the state budget.
- Wearing sensible shoes as well as my fancy brace to allow my ankle to fully heal so I can get back to the business of marathon training, which I clearly was not doing on the night this photo was taken, but it sure was a fun night and anyway I love those shoes!
Okay, tell me one thing that makes you feel like an adult! And please do not say “when I pay the mortgage or find all the magical tax deductions.”
Carpe Some Diems this Weekend!!