Happy Friday!! This is a special Friday for yours truly, and I do not mind indulging in a little extra dose of fun. This is officially the last Friday of my thirties. Wahoo!! Tomorrow I will turn the big four-oh, a fact that is oddly thrilling and not stressful in the least. Tonight Handsome is throwing me a surprise party, and I am really really really excited. (Don’t ask me how I know about it.)
Around the Lazy W, we have lots of wonderful birthday traditions. Among them is asking the birthday person what he or she has learned this past year. Okay, only I make people suffer through this, but I just love to hear how people have grown in a year’s time.
Last year for my 39th birthday I loaded you all down with thirty nine pieces of unsolicited advice. And you were such great sports about it!! I had a blast writing all of that and appreciate everyone’s comments and love.
This year, I will spare you an additional forty pieces of advice and just tell you a quick five things I have learned this past year. This will serve as our Friday 5 at the Farm for my 40th birthday week:
- Carpe Diem is important. It means taking life one day at a time, seeing each day for the unique opportunities it brings, and making the most of it all. It means not looking back for too long nor ahead. It means being present both mentally and physically. And it makes life much, much better.
- Grief is a powerful force, and it is different for every person. So it’s cruelly unfair to measure love by how we express grief outwardly. And while there are lots of normal ways to grieve, some of those can be terribly destructive and hurtful to others. I guess what I’m saying is that the lesson to judge not certainly carries into this necessary chapter of life.
- Exercise is as good for your spirit as it is for your body, maybe even better. You really really must find some kind of physical activity that you LOVE and thoroughly enjoy to the point of craving it, then make it a part of your regular weekly routine. It’s vital. It will work magic in your life.
- Miracles are still very real, and prayers can be answered suddenly, in bizarre and unexpected ways. Never give up on a good hope. Trust that your prayers are already answered, even if you have yet to see the “proof.” Be patient. Allow life to surprise you with how good it is!
- As cliche as it sounds, life really does get better and better, despite inevitable heartache and difficulty. So does romance. And feeling comfortable in your skin is a real phenomenon that does a world of good for women, and I wish I could tell my twenty year old self all about it.
That’s about it! Whether your birthday is soon or not, what have you learned this past year? I would absolutely love you for sharing it in the comments!
Now… I am off to get dressed for this surprise party Handsome is throwing. I am one lucky girl.
Carpe Diem. Especially Your Fortieth Birthday.